Two-part Common Time on Nov. 22 includes information & celebration
All College employees are invited to a virtual Common Time session on Monday, Nov. 22, from 3 to 4:30 p.m., featuring two topics:
- First, Tammie Larkins will provide an update on the CState Accelerate program, which re-started this fall to provide support and incentives for students to help them complete their associate's degree.
- Then, the Celebrating Community Committee will lead a "Thankful for our Community" celebration, with interactive opportunities for audience participation!
Please join your colleagues for an informative and enjoyable pre-holiday gathering.
- Webinar ID: 898 7204 4886
- Passcode: 075164
- Telephone: 1-646-876-9923 or 1-301-715-8592
- One tap mobile: US: +16468769923,,89872044886#,,,,*075164# or +13017158592,,89872044886#,,,,*075164#
Many students enjoyed Pre-Thanksgiving Lunch
About 300 Clifton Campus students enjoyed the Pre-Thanksgiving lunch provided on Nov. 18 (or in some cases, students enjoyed anticipating a future meal via the Bob Evans gift card they received).
The complimentary lunch was sponsored by the Cincinnati State Foundation.
Implementation was made possible with help from Chef Michael VanFleet, and food servers Carrie Baynes (Office of Advancement), Marybeth Barnes (Student Activities), and Victoria Ford (student worker), as well as assistance from Soni Hill (Senior Director of Student Success and Development).
(Photos provided by Amy Wagner)
Condolences to the family of Gretchen Romelli
Adjunct Instructor of Sociology Gretchen Romelli passed away unexpectedly on Nov. 13, 2021. She began teaching at Cincinnati State in Fall of 2018 and taught numerous sections of Introduction to Sociology over the past four years.
In addition to teaching at Cincinnati State, IvyTech, and Mount St. Joseph University, Ms. Romelli was also employed by Mercy Health Jewish Hospital in Kenwood.
She was the co-founder of Autistic Endeavors, a non-profit that raises funds and awareness of the educational and socialization needs of children with autism.
Dr. Heather Hatchett, department chair for Social and Behavioral Sciences, said, "Gretchen was one of the most student-centered, creative instructors I’ve ever known, and she was especially gifted in forming empowering student relationships and facilitating an inclusive learning environment. Her identity was that of a teacher and fierce advocate of disability rights and social justice."
Students in Ms. Romelli's classes were informed this week and were offered counseling services and other support resources. The students will be able to complete their Sociology class this semester.
A Celebration of Life for Ms. Romelli will be announced at a later date. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to help the family with expenses, at Venmo address @Joseph-Romelli or at GoFundMe https://gofund.me/35d5368b.
Messages of condolence may be shared at the Ralph Meyer & Deters Funeral Home website.
(Photo from Ralph Meyer & Deters Funeral Home)
Colleague & internet maintenance on Nov. 20 & 21
- On Saturday, Nov. 20, between 6 and 7 a.m., Colleague patches will be installed.
- On Sunday, Nov. 21, between 5 and 9 a.m., the ITS networking team will be replacing the College's internet firewalls. This maintenance affect all internet services, including:
- Admissions Application
- Network Storage (nas)
- Surge Time
- Virtual Desktop
- All remote access (SSLVPN)
ITS will make efforts to keep service disruptions to a minimum during the maintenance periods.
Parking Lot D update: Some portions open, some of the time
Parking Lot D on Clifton Campus reopened on Nov. 18; however, some portions of the lot will remain closed to employee and student vehicles because of ongoing construction work.
In particular, the section of Lot D adjacent to B Wing of the Main Building (leading to the Health Professions Building and the "roundabout") is likely to remain closed until the end of December.
At least one more full closing of Lot D is anticipated before construction work is completed.
Daily News will share additional details when they are provided.
Reminder: turn in your timesheet on time
Because of the Thanksgiving break, Surge Time reports for the pay period that ends this week must be submitted and approved no later than noon on Sunday, November 21.
So if your time report isn't done, please take appropriate steps, and avoid potential problems.
Overlook hot lunch specials - Nov. 22-23
The hot lunch specials from Kate's Catering at the Overlook for Nov. 22 and 23 are:
- Hot Sandwich Monday, Nov. 22 - Hot Italian Sliders + French Fries / Mac n' Cheese ($7)
- Mexican Tuesday, Nov. 23 - Tex-Mex Black Bean Quinoa Casserole + Garlic Bread ($7)
- Sick leave cash-in deadline is June 1
- Three students receive Co-op Scholarship awards for 2022
- Webinar examines the future of advising
- Greenhouse Sale goes BOGO for final day
- TRIO students celebrated graduation and scholarship award
- Summer students can request loaner laptops
- Board of Trustees meeting on May 24
- Online Learning Support for May 23-27
- Tutoring Center & Math Center announce Summer service hours
- New U.S. citizens were welcomed at Naturalization Ceremony