Career Closet receives donation from local clothing store Pursuit
In early December 2021, the Cincinnati State Career Closet received a generous donation of men's suits, pants, and blazers from Pursuit, a clothing store in the Over-the-Rhine neighborhood of Cincinnati.
Brian Hooten, Co-op Coordinator in the Business Division (and coordinator of the Career Closet), along with co-op student Rodney Arnold (above), picked up the donations and learned about Pursuit’s mission.
Store Manager Anna Jackson said the company started from an idea developed by Nate Demars for an entrepreneurship class at Ohio State.
As a class project in 2011, Nate pitched the idea of a suit store that would offer a unique blend of modern suits and old-fashioned service.
Inspired by the project, Nate took a leap of faith to open a store in Columbus and later expanded to Cincinnati.
Brian said, "Nate enjoys giving back to the college community and conducting speaking engagements to help inspire other entrepreneurs on their journey."
"We greatly appreciate Pursuit's support for our Cincinnati State students," Brian added.
Career Closet hours for Spring Semester are Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- The Career Closet is located in the Main Building on Clifton Campus, on the lower level next to the Fitness Center.
- Students from any major who need professional or business casual attire for an interview, a job fair, or even a class presentation can "shop" at the Career Closet at no cost.
Available items include:
- business suits for men and women
- professional dresses
- professional slacks/skirts
- professional shirts/blouses
- accessories such as shoes, belts, ties, and professional bags/purses
The Career Closet is a donation-based program supported by the Cincinnati State Foundation and the College’s Office of Advancement, along with the Cincinnati State AAUP.
For more information, visit the Career Closet web page or call (513) 569-1624.
(Photos provided by Brian Hooten)
Board of Trustees meeting on Jan. 25
The Cincinnati State Board of Trustees will meet on Tuesday, Jan. 25, 2022, starting at 3:45 p.m., in the Conference Center on Clifton Campus.
The Board meeting is open to the public.
The Board meeting also will be available to the public on Zoom at this link: https://cincinnatistate-edu.zoom.us/j/83857167269?pwd=b0pjeXkrVlBQQlJNTGFXRy8yZTllZz09
- Meeting ID: 838 5716 7269
- Passcode: 888309
- Call-in: 1-646-876-9923
The meeting agenda is:
- Call to Order
- Sunshine Law Compliance Announcement
- Roll Call
- Approval of the Proceedings of the Regular Board Meeting of December 7, 2021
- Consideration of Items for Possible Addition to the Agenda
- Recognition of Accomplishments Reflective of the College Mission
- Consent Agenda
- Personnel Reports
- Public Safety Monthly Incident Reports
- Facilities Reports
- Financial Report
- FY23 Budget Planning – Affirmation of Fiscal Priorities
- FY22 Budget Amendment
- Approval of Vendor Contracts
- Academic Quality & Student Learning Updates
- Tenure Approval
- Annual Review/Approval of the College Mission, Vision and Values
- Election of Board of Trustees Officers
Status of the College Community
- Student Engagement & Education / Student Activities Report
- Shared Governance / Faculty Senate Report
- President's Report
- Chairperson’s Report
- Old Business
- New Business
- Adjourn to Executive Session / Return from Executive Session
The next meeting of the Board of Trustees is scheduled for Mar. 22, 2022, at 3:45 p.m., at the Clifton Campus Conference Center.
Tutoring Center & Math Center announce hours for Spring Semester
Spring Semester 2022 schedules have been announced for Cincinnati State's Tutoring Center and Math Center.
Both support centers provide in-person and virtual services for students.
MATH CENTER (Main 228B) - provides help at designated times 7 days a week for students taking a variety of Math courses as well as Physics or Chemistry.
- Click to download the Math Center Spring Semester Calendar that includes details of in-person and remote hours, and Zoom links for virtual tutors
TUTORING CENTER (Main 261) - provides help for students in Biology, Chemistry, and Computer Applications courses, and help with Study Skills. Tutoring is available at designated times on Monday through Friday and on Sunday evening.
- Click to download the Tutoring Center Spring Semester Calendar that includes details of in-person and remote hours, and Zoom links for virtual tutors
ESL Conversation Group offered in Spring Semester
Cincinnati State will continue to offer a free conversation group for English Language Learners in Spring Semester.
The Conversation Group for beginning and intermediate level learners is available on Wednesdays from 2 to 3 p.m., starting Jan. 26.
- The group will meet each Wednesday through Apr. 27.
- The initial class meeting will be online via Zoom but future classes will be in ATLC 301.
Registration is not required, but students with questions (or in need of the Zoom link) should contact Daniel Zimmer, ESL instructor and chair of the Language Learning Department (email@example.com).
No Provost's Update on Jan. 25
The Provost's Update online meeting will not take place this week.
Provost's Update sessions will resume on Tuesday, Feb. 1, at 8:30 a.m.
All College employees are welcome to join Provost Robbin Hoopes for the weekly 30-minutes sessions.
- Zoom Link: https://cincinnatistate-edu.zoom.us/j/89109535374?pwd=bUVYOGd5MkgrdjVOeVBrQ3hZN2RYdz09
- Meeting ID: 891 0953 5374
- Passcode: 030109
Online Learning Support for Jan. 24-28
Support services provided by the Office of Online Learning for the week of Jan. 24 will be "on demand" for faculty members who request assistance.
- Dr. Jon P. McKamey, Instructional Designer, will be away from the office this week.
He will monitor email for urgent needs, but you may get a reply from either Dr. Stephanie Stafford or Paul D. DeNu from the Office of Online Learning in his absence.
- You may reach out to Stephanie or Paul individually for support for online learning, Blackboard, or Zoom
For more information about all resources available from the Office of Online Learning, visit the "Support/Training" section of the COVID-19 Faculty Resources site in Blackboard. Look for this site near the bottom of your list of Blackboard courses
Self-paced "Teaching Online" course
Faculty members are encouraged to sign up for the self-paced, 6-module online course Teaching Online for Cincinnati State, facilitated by Dr. McKamey.
Faculty can enroll in the course at any time. See the weekly PDF training schedule for more information.
Zoom Support for Faculty & Staff (via Zoom) is facilitated by Paul D. DeNu, Technical Communication Specialist
To schedule an appointment for help with Zoom troubleshooting or training, send email to Paul at firstname.lastname@example.org, and then you can join Paul on Zoom at the scheduled time.
- Meeting ID: 814 3861 4572 | Passcode: 5m201r
Paul is also available by appointment to provide individual training and help with concerns related to Zoom, as well as help with other learning technology (Collaborate, audio/video work, Screencast-O-Matic, closed captioning, accessibility, and Blackboard assistance).
- Sick leave cash-in deadline is June 1
- Three students receive Co-op Scholarship awards for 2022
- Webinar examines the future of advising
- Greenhouse Sale goes BOGO for final day
- TRIO students celebrated graduation and scholarship award
- Summer students can request loaner laptops
- Board of Trustees meeting on May 24
- Online Learning Support for May 23-27
- Tutoring Center & Math Center announce Summer service hours
- New U.S. citizens were welcomed at Naturalization Ceremony