COVID-19 Safety Update: If you feel sick, follow these steps
The Cincinnati State Academic Response Team (ART) has updated the guidelines for students and employees related to isolation or quarantine if:
- you have symptoms associated with COVID-19
- you are in close contact with someone who is positive for COVID-19 ("close contact" is defined by the CDC as being within 6 feet for at least 15 minutes in total during a 24-hour period)
- you test positive for COVID-19
Students with symptoms, exposure, or a positive COVID test should notify their instructor first, and the instructor should then notify their Dean. Additional information for faculty and academic support staff will be provided later this week.
Employees with symptoms, exposure, or a positive COVID test should notify their Dean or Director.
Click the images below to download flowcharts with the steps to be followed, depending on your vaccination status. (The flowcharts also are available on the College's COVID-19 web page)
Flowchart: Quarantine guidelines IF FULLY VACCINATED
Flowchart: Quarantine guidelines IF NOT VACCINATED
Employee Listening Sessions continue
The Employee Listening Sessions hosted by President Monica Posey have produced energetic discussions and informative feedback.
Additional sessions are scheduled this week, including some sessions open to all employees regarding of your role at the College.
- Monday, Sep. 20 - 3 p.m. - VIRTUAL for All Employees (sign up by noon Monday to receive the Zoom link)
- Wednesday, Sep. 22 - 8 a.m. - VIRTUAL for Program Chairs (sign up by end-of-day Monday to receive the Zoom link)
- Wednesday, Sep. 22 - 4:30 p.m. - VIRTUAL for All Employees (sign up by end-of-day Monday to receive the Zoom link)
- Friday, Sep. 24 - 2 p.m. - VIRTUAL for Full-time Faculty (sign up by end-of-day on Sep. 22 to receive the Zoom link)
- Wednesday, Sep. 29 - 11 a.m. - IN-PERSON for Administrators (sign up by end-of-day on Sep. 27)
The goal of these voluntary sessions is to share experiences of the past year and a half, to take steps toward improving the College's ability for employees to work together, and to prepare for the PACE Survey that will take place in Fall.
Please sign up using this online form: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/M83SQCL
- Virtual session participants will receive the Zoom link before the session.
- In-person sessions will be held in the President’s Dining Room, ATLC 236.
- If you have questions, please contact Angelica Kennedy at email@example.com.
The PACE (Personnel Assessment of the College Experience) Survey is implemented every three years at Cincinnati State.
The survey, which is administered by the independent National Initiative for Leadership and Institutional Effectiveness (NILIE), focuses on 5 areas related to the institutional climate:
- Institutional Structure
- Student Focus
- Supervisory Relationships
- Overall Climate
Each listening session will last an hour and a half, and will include an overview of the 2018 PACE overview along with discussion facilitated by Jeffrey Stec, the executive director of Citizens for Civic Renewal, who is assisting with the College's strategic planning process.
- Click to download the Executive Summary of the 2018 PACE Survey.
- Additional informational is available on the College intranet: Institutional Research Reports > Survey Results > PACE Results.
Surge Cupboard still needs volunteers for Fall
The Surge Cupboard is seeking more faculty and staff volunteers who can help keep the food pantry available to Cincinnati State students who are experiencing food insecurity.
Surge Cupboard hours of operation for Fall Semester (starting Sep. 21) are:
- Tuesdays - 4 to 6 p.m.
- Wednesdays - 12:30 to 2:30 p.m.
- Thursdays - 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Currently registered students can visit the Surge Cupboard in Main 137 once a month to receive up to a three-day supply of food and toiletries, at no cost, by showing their Surge Card (student ID).
To maintain social distancing, no more than 6 persons will be allowed in the Surge Cupboard room at the same time.
- To help in the Food Pantry this week, visit https://www.signupgenius.com/go/409044babae23abfb6-surg
- To help during the rest of Fall Semester, visit https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0A44A5AE2EA3FF2-surge
The first Farmer's Market for Fall took place on Sep. 16 (photo above), when nearly 40 students had their choice of apples, onions, potatoes, cabbage, and broccoli provided by the Freestore Foodbank.
This was the first Farmer's Market on campus since March 2020, when about 50 students picked up fresh produce.
- The Farmer's Market is part of a partnership between Cincinnati State and the Freestore Foodbank.
- Free fruits and vegetables provided by the Freestore Foodbank are available to any currently-registered Cincinnati State student on Farmer's Market days from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., or until all produce is gone.
- Bags for transporting the food are provided.
- Additional Farmer's Markets will take place Oct. 21 and Nov. 4.
Chef Meg Galvin's family farm featured in national publication
The American Farmland Trust, an organization focused on both agricultural and environmental issues, recently published a feature on the farm owned by Cincinnati State Chef Meg Barton Galvin and her family as an example of "keeping farmers on the land" and promoting sound farming practices despite challenges in the agricultural system.
The online article "A Farm to Last for Generations" describes the Barton Brothers Farm in Kentucky, a recipient of a grant from the American Farmland Trust that allowed the family to invest in a sustainable watering system to assist with farm operations.
As stated in the article, "Meg is a fourth-generation farmer and was raised watching her family commit themselves to being stewards of the land and the community that they fed."
"Meg’s role has been developing organic pollinator gardens, reintroducing beekeeping to the surrounding fields, and establishing a truffle plantation."
The article also notes that Meg and her siblings "hope to continue to find more sustainable practices within crop production and further diversify their farm operation."
Online Learning Support for faculty - Sep. 20-24
The Office of Online Learning is providing Blackboard Office Hours and other resources for instructors this week.
For more information, visit the "Support/Training" section of the COVID-19 Faculty Resources site in Blackboard. Look for this site near the bottom of your list of Blackboard courses.
Help is also available from the Center for Teaching and Learning for improving courses, regardless of format.
Blackboard Office Hours are facilitated by Dr. Jon McKamey (via Zoom)
- Monday, Sep. 20 - 2-3 p.m.
- Tuesday, Sep. 21 - 11 a.m.-noon
Drop-in as needed to get help with specific Blackboard tools, troubleshooting, or any remote learning-related topic. Come prepared with your specific needs and you'll get help seeking solutions.
- Meeting ID: 810 6058 5299 | Passcode: 672017
Remote Assistance from the Instructional Designer
Dr. McKamey will be away from the office Sep. 22-24 but will be monitoring email to assist with urgent needs. is available to provide remote assistance via Zoom to help individuals with online course and Blackboard issues.
Contact Jon by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) for an appointment and Zoom room details.
Faculty members are encouraged to sign up for the self-paced, 6-module online course Teaching Online for Cincinnati State, facilitated by Dr. McKamey.
Faculty can enroll in the course at any time. See the weekly PDF training schedule for more information.
Zoom Support for Faculty & Staff is facilitated by Paul D. DeNu (via Zoom)
To schedule an appointment for help with Zoom troubleshooting or training, send email to Paul at email@example.com, and then you can join Paul on Zoom at the scheduled time.
- Meeting ID: 814 3861 4572 | Passcode: 5m201r
Paul is also available by appointment to provide individual training and help with concerns related to Zoom, as well as help with other learning technology (Collaborate, audio/video work, Screencast-O-Matic, closed captioning, accessibility, and Blackboard assistance).
Julee Johns, Director of the Center for Teaching and Learning, and the CTL Learning Facilitators, are available by appointment.
Call (513) 569-1724 to leave a message for a return call.
The CTL Blackboard site (in your list of Blackboard courses) has resources to assist with Fall 2021 classroom management issues.
Faculty and staff members are invited to sign up for individual coaching sessions with Learning Facilitator Dr. Valencia Moses throughout Fall Semester.
Coaching sessions with "Dr. V" are available via Zoom during her office hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 a.m. to noon.
- Use this link to schedule a 30-minute session tailored to meet your needs or explore a topic of interest: https://calendly.com/drv4ctl/30min
- After signing up for your session, you will receive a unique, passcode-protected link to connect with Dr. V on Zoom
Conversation topics during Summer CTL office hours included classroom management issues, engaging learners, ideas for curriculum and classroom activities, self-care, resume/CV review, and other topics of interest that support Cincinnati State teaching and learning.
- Horticulture Club Poinsettia Sale begins for 2021
- Wilmington to offer Master of Organizational Leadership classes at CState
- CTL webinar series explores Post-Traumatic Growth
- Possible login problems today
- PACE Survey deadline is Nov. 23
- College closed for Thanksgiving break Nov. 24-28
- Food Sensory Science Seminar on Dec. 3 is open to all
- Student Vax Incentive increases participation & names Week 6 winners
- Employee Vax Incentive program adds incentives & announces Week 3 winners
- Annual Fund Giving Challenge for 21-22 starts today
- - College Closed - Thanksgiving Break
- Sun. 11/28 - College Closed - Thanksgiving Break
- Tue. 11/30 - Provost's Academic Update
- Tue. 12/7 - Provost's Academic Update
- Tue. 12/7 - Board of Trustees Meeting
- Tue. 12/14 - Provost's Academic Update
- Sat. 12/18 - Last Day of Fall Semester
- Mon. 12/20 - College Open - No Classes
- Tue. 12/21 - College Open - No Classes
- Wed. 12/22 - College Open - No Classes