Faculty Excellence Awards recipients & new Emeritus Professors announced
The recipients of the House/Bruckmann Faculty Excellence Awards for 2021 are Jayne Dressing and Pam Ecker.
The House/Bruckmann Award recipients and the other nominees-- Jen Martin, Julie McLaughlin, and Andrea Trapp-- will be recognized during Common Time on Monday, Apr. 12.
The recipients of the Adjunct Faculty Excellence Awards, Kate Mitchell and Carolyn Rost, also will be recognized at the Apr. 12 event.
In addition, six retired faculty members who are receiving Emeritus Professor status will be honored. They are:
- Tom Burns
- Sue Dolan
- Andi Feld
- Michele Geers
- Rosa-Maria Moreno
- Jeff Vetter
Additional information about each honoree and details on the Zoom virtual event will be provided in a future edition of Daily News.
CState seeks members for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Council
President Monica Posey has announced that the College is taking steps to establish a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Council.
Forming this group is one of the projects described in the Cincinnati State Strategic Plan 2025.
The purpose of the Council is described in the charter statement that was prepared with input from College stakeholders.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Council Charter
Cincinnati State’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Council will be composed of faculty, staff, students, alumni and community stakeholders who are champions of our mission. This work will support implementation of the College’s equity value statement as a foundational principle across all components of the 2025 Strategic Plan.
Equity Value Statement: We believe in contributing to a socially and economically equitable society. We honor the diversity and inclusiveness of our College community and strive to hear all voices.
The initial tasks of the DEI Council will be:
- develop a Board of Trustees-approved statement of Institutional commitment to DE&I
- develop an institutional DE&I Plan
- pursue opportunities for enhanced communications related to DE&I
- identify implementation strategies and milestones
This work will utilize these methods:*
- Conducting an Institutional Needs Assessment and Research
- Analyzing Data
- Drafting the Plan: Setting Goals, Strategies, and Outcomes
- Implementing a Communication Plan
- Sustaining the Process
(*Source: Minnesota State Colleges and Universities DE&I Toolkit)
Under this framework, the College is seeking a team of employees to form the DE&I Council. Once this group is in place, student representatives and external stakeholders will be added.
Employees who are interested in joining the Council should complete the DE&I Membership Interest eForm by Wednesday, Apr. 7. (Note: this form is not listed with other College eForms)
- Questions on the eForm are designed to help identify a diverse team of Council members.
- Completed forms will be reviewed by Dr. Posey and the College's Executive Team. Feedback will be obtained from College leaders prior to membership selection.
- Those selected for the Council will receive an invitation from Dr. Posey.
Dr. Posey said throughout the work to promote and improve Cincinnati State diversity, equity, and inclusion, the involvement of everyone across the College will be important.
Transfer Center provides April virtual visit schedule
The Cincinnati State Transfer Center has released the April 2021 calendar of virtual visits with representatives of four-year colleges and universities. (Scroll down to see the link to the calendar.)
The Calendar includes several clickable links:
- Some events with visiting colleges and universities require pre-registration, and some require students to make an individual appointment.
- Please click links for Register or Virtual Visit as needed.
The Transfer Center continues to offer Virtual Open Office Hours on Mondays and Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to noon via Blackboard Collaborate. To "stop by" for office hours, just click this link: https://us.bbcollab.com/guest/abb4e62b191745c5a5ef0fc259e17d71.
Dr. Myshamil Walker, the Transfer Center Coordinator, encourages faculty members and advisors to share information with students who may be interested in transfer to a four-year school after completing their Cincinnati State degree.
To view the Transfer Center schedule for April, click the link below.
CState students can attend virtual College Fair on Apr. 7
Cincinnati State students thinking about continuing their education after attaining an associate's degree are invited to attend a free virtual Ohio College Fair for Transfer Students on Wednesday, Apr. 7, from 4 to 6:45 p.m.
- The event includes more than 30 Ohio colleges and universities as well as many other institutions throughout the U.S., and some institutions outside the U.S.
- Students can pre-register for presentations and Q&A sessions with the schools of greatest interest.
The College Fair is sponsored by the Ohio Association for College Admission Counseling.
For more information about the participating schools and how to register, visit https://www.strivescan.com/ohio.
Slides & recording posted for Mar. 22 Strategic Plan Update
If you missed the update on the College's Strategic Plan 2025 during Common Time on Mar. 22, the recording of the presentation is available on the College intranet.
Go to How the College Works > Academics > Common Time > Common Time Recordings > 2021.
- Click to download the presentation slides.
- Click here to download the Enrollment Services Plan that is discussed in the presentation.
During the Update, Dr. Posey described more than 30 specific projects that are associated with the "4 pillars" of the Strategic Plan:
- Achieving Academic Excellence
- Enriching the Student Experience
- Engaging the Community
- Strengthening Our Future
Some of the projects have been completed or are in process, but many will be carried out during the next few years.
Dr. Posey also discussed some of the resources that will be needed to carry out projects slated for Fiscal Years 2022 and 2023.
- The presentation also included a review of the College's Enrollment Services Plan, which is one of the projects that is part of the Strategic Plan.
- Discussion of enrollment included actions that employees can take to help build enrollment.
The complete Strategic Plan 2025 is available on the College website.
Dr. Posey's November 2020 update on the Strategic Plan is available as a Zoom video recording. (You'll need to enter the passcode XuW?AG6g to watch the video.)
Access to Clifton Campus pedestrian pathway closed unitl Apr. 6
Starting Thursday, Apr. 1, and continuing until around 5 p.m. on Monday, Apr. 5, access is closed-- including pedestrian traffic-- to the portion of Lot D that has been available to those traveling from A and B Wings of the Main Building to the Health Professions Building and the "roundabout" (as seen in the photo above).
A large crane is set up in this portion of Lot D (located near where the brown dumpster is pictured above) as part of the Main Building recovery work, and no vehicle or foot traffic is allowed in the area until the work is completed.
To those on Clifton Campus who are affected by this short-term change, thank you for your cooperation in ensuring safety.
Go back to the 80s at CTC
If you aren't following CState social media, you missed last week's TBT (that's "Throwback Thursday") tribute to great music of the past, in the form of a Cincinnati Technical College "radio jingle" ad.
Faculty member Carla Gesell-Streeter, who is providing some assistance for the College's marketing and social media efforts, started with "gnarly audio from the 80s" found in the College Archives (thanks, College Archivist Tracey Stivers!).
The audio was combined with rad images (also from the Archives) to create a TV commercial that never was, but is awesome viewing now.
Enjoy the jam at https://vimeo.com/527465013/453d88492a. Cowabunga!
- Webinar for employees helps you "Be Your Best Self"
- Overlook specials of the week for Apr. 12-15
- Student "suit up" event is this weekend & Health Career/Education Fair is Apr. 13
- Meet the new CState Human Resources Team
- "Surge Purge" for Main Building is Apr. 20-23
- Applications for DE&I Council due Apr. 7
- CState Library offers end-of-semester research help for students
- Dr. Carol Morman shared research at Community College Baccalaureate Association Conference
- Tammie Larkins is the new Director of C-State Accelerate
- Free transportation to vaccine appointments on "GetOutTheVax" weekends
- Mon. 4/12 - Common Time: Faculty Excellence Awards Celebration
- Tue. 4/13 - Provost's Academic Update
- Tue. 4/13 - Health Professions Career/Education Fair
- Wed. 4/14 - "Moving Beyond Undecided" Virtual Info Session
- Tue. 4/20 - Provost's Academic Update
- Tue. 4/20 - CCP Virtual Advising & Registration
- Wed. 4/21 - "Moving Beyond Undecided" Virtual Info Session
- Tue. 4/27 - Provost's Academic Update
- Tue. 5/4 - Provost's Academic Update
- Wed. 5/5 - CCP Virtual Advising & Registration