Surge Cupboard's unused food will become meals prepared by La Soupe
On Friday, Mar. 12, a group of Cincinnati State volunteers loaded up a van with 896 pounds of expired and expiring food that has been in the Surge Cupboard Food Pantry since the start of the pandemic.
The van transported the food to the local non-profit organization La Soupe, where the donations will become ingredients in meals for people who are dealing with food insecurity.
Helpers seen above (from left) are Marybeth Barnes, Katy Nardolillo (Partner Relations Manager at LaSoupe), Abbey Yee, Wayne Herbers, and Tony Waite.
La Soupe, Inc., founded by local chef and restaurant owner Suzy DeYoung in 2014, bridges the gap between food waste and hunger by rescuing perishable food, transforming it into delicious and nutritious meals, and sharing with the food insecure.
La Soupe will be able to use most of the Surge Cupboard donated food, and will dispose of anything that cannot be used.
Project volunteer Abbey Yee said, "Katy from La Soupe was very excited about the donation, and we were all glad the food could be used to help others, and not just keep sitting unused inside the Main Building."
Abbey also noted, "Wayne Herbers and Tony Waite were around at just the right time to help load the van."
In addition to those seen above, other volunteers assisting with the donation project included Angela Haensel (Surge Cupboard volunteer coordinator), Mimi Albers, Patty Edwards, Meredith Effler, Denise Gabrelski, and Kelly Hubbard.
As seen in photos above and below, the donated food filled several carts and covered nearly the entire floor space of the van.
Cincinnati State’s Midwest Culinary Institute is a long-time partner to La Soupe.
- Students and staff at the Midwest Culinary Institute have regularly volunteered to assist La Soupe in making meals to be donated.
- In January 2019, during an extended Federal government shut-down, MCI and La Soupe partnered to provide a "pop-up kitchen" with meals for the furloughed government workers and their families.
La Soupe sells food to the public from their location on East McMillan St., with profits from retail sales helping to support the non-profit activities. Currently, only online ordering and curbside pickup are available.
(Photos provided by Abbey Yee)
Below, Denise Gabrelski and Abbey Yee get ready to take donations to the La Soupe van
Remote/Online Learning Support for Mar. 15-19
The Office of Online Learning is offering several opportunities this week for faculty seeking:
- assistance using Blackboard, Zoom, or other remote learning tools
- help in improving your remote/online courses
Other assistance (including help with Zoom and Blackboard Collaborate) is available by appointment.
For more information, visit the "Support/Training" section of the COVID-19 Faculty Resources site in Blackboard.
- Look for this site near the bottom of your list of Blackboard courses.
- If you are a new instructor and need access to this resource site, please contact a division administrator.
Blackboard Open Office Hours/Help with Blackboard Tools are facilitated by Dr. Jon McKamey (via Zoom)
- Open Office Hours can be used to get help with any element of Blackboard, but these are not in-depth training sessions.
- Days/times are below. Join a session via Zoom at https://cincinnatistate- edu.zoom.us/j/81060585299?pwd=QVRaMDJBcWNEcUxMeE4vQnZtTnU3QT09
Meeting ID: 810 6058 5299 | Passcode: 672017
- Tuesday, Mar. 16 - 11 a.m.-noon
- Wednesday, Mar. 17 - 1-2 p.m.
- Thursday, Mar. 18 - 2-4 p.m.
- Friday, Mar. 19 - 9-10 a.m.
Online Course Delivery: Improving the Student Experience is facilitated by Dr. Jon McKamey (via Zoom)
- Join a session to review specific elements of your Web, LiveWeb, or Web Hybrid course that could be refined to improve the experience for your students. Discussion topics will flow from participant questions and needs.
- Days/times are below. Join a session via Zoom at https://cincinnatistate-edu.zoom.us/j/83285934234?pwd=S3RkME55eFZ2UEhDckJ0SFM4VHJHZz09
Meeting ID: 832 8593 4234 | Passcode: 881480
- Tuesday, Mar. 16 - 2-3 p.m.
- Wednesday, Mar. 17 - 9-10 a.m.
- Thursday, Mar. 18 - 8-9 a.m.
Faculty members are encouraged to sign up for the self-paced, 6-module online course Teaching Online for Cincinnati State, facilitated by Jon. Faculty can enroll in the course at any time. See the weekly PDF training schedule for more information.
Paul DeNu from the Office of Online Learning is available by appointment to provide Zoom training and/or troubleshooting.
Paul is also available by appointment to help with individual concerns related to Collaborate, audio/video work, Screencast-O-Matic, closed captioning, accessibility, and other Blackboard assistance.
To schedule an appointment, send email to Paul at email@example.com
Julee Johns, Director of the Center for Teaching and Learning, is available by appointment.
Call (513) 569-1724 to leave a message for a return call.
Overlook "specials of the week" for Mar. 15-18
For Mar. 15-18, the lunch "specials of the week" from Kate's Catering at the Overlook include:
- Wednesday, Mar. 17 - "Build your own Nacho" Bar - $8
- Thursday, Mar. 18 - "Build your own Breakfast" Bar - $8
- The Sandwich Special for the full week is a Philly Cheesesteak - $6
The Overlook Cafe on Clifton Campus is open 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Monday through Thursday.
- Surge Cupboard receives more donations; Oct. 21 Farmer's Market provides produce for students
- 10-digit dialing starts Oct. 24
- LGBTQ+ & Ally Solidarity Training session offered today
- CS speaker joins Oct. 21 webinar on Post-Pandemic Career Seeking
- Transfer Student Week continues with focus on UC and Wilmington
- Cybersecurity Awareness Month Week 3: Explore Cybersecurity Careers
- Celebrate Women's Entrepreneurship at virtual forums
- Tutoring Center & Math Center revise hours for Fall Semester
- National Transfer Student Week includes fun, prizes & information
- Update your Zoom software by Nov. 1
- - National Transfer Student Week
- - Surge Cupboard Farmer's Market
- - Women's Entrepreneurship Week Panel Discussion
- Mon. 10/25 - Common Time: Peer Mentoring & the Tenure Process
- Tue. 10/26 - Provost's Academic Update
- Tue. 10/26 - Board of Trustees Meeting
- Tue. 11/2 - Provost's Academic Update
- Thu. 11/4 - Surge Cupboard Farmer's Market
- Tue. 11/9 - Provost's Academic Update
- Tue. 11/16 - Provost's Academic Update