"New Student Orientation Online" starts today
Starting today, July 13, students beginning their Cincinnati State experience can complete a comprehensive New Student Orientation program that is fully online.
- The Online Orientation is available to students by clicking the “New Student Orientation” tab in MyCState/Blackboard.
- New students are receiving email and text messages today letting them know about online orientation, and encouraging them to complete it.
- Students who begin the orientation will receive email reminders to finish the online program.
- Students who finish the orientation will receive a Certificate of Completion.
Faculty and staff members can preview New Student Orientation using the link located in the MyCState/Blackboard “Tools and Applications” tab.
- After you click the link for "New Student Orientation" in the "Tools and Applications" sub-section, you'll need to create an account in order to view the orientation information that admitted students will see.
The Online New Student Orientation takes about an hour to complete, but students can finish the program in multiple visits.
The online orientation is accessible on a variety of browsers, computers, and mobile devices, and is ADA-compliant.
Online orientation includes built-in resources
Topics covered in the orientation are:
- Technology & Support Services
- Student Life
- Paying for College
- Policies & Safety
- Registration & Student Success
The content was based on information used in divisional student orientation programs, and was reviewed for accuracy by various student service offices.
The online orientation includes several resources that students will be able to use throughout their time as a CState student, such as:
- Glossary of college terms
- Interactive to-do list
- "Items of interest" that students can select as they work through the orientation
- Ability to print all of the orientation slides, if desired
The online orientation was produced by the multimedia company Advantage Design Group, with guidance from a College task force that included Frankie Baker, Yvonne Baker, Lisa Lucas, Jason Moore, Shirley Piazza, Debbie Poweleit, Amy Wagner, and Amy Waldbillig.
Provost Robbin Hoopes and the other division deans participated in the project as well.
Christian Appleby contributed to the photos and videos used, and Pam Ecker provided some editorial support.
Because of COVID-19, Advantage Design Group was not able to complete planned on-campus video shooting that was scheduled for Spring Semester. The video shoot will be rescheduled in the future.
The revised version of the orientation (after the video shoot is finished) will include updated video components, videos quizzes, and a video "walking tour" that will highlight specific Cincinnati State programs and services, and feature Cincinnati State students.
Questions and/or updates for the orientation content can be sent to email@example.com.
(Screen capture photo provided by Lisa Lucas)
Online Learning Support for faculty scheduled for July 13-17
Several training and consultation opportunities are available to faculty this week.
For more information, visit the "Support/Training" section of the COVID-19 Faculty Resources site in Blackboard. (Look for this site near the bottom of your list of Blackboard courses.)
The PDF weekly schedule available from the COVID-19 Faculty Resources site includes details on how to register for sessions offered via Blackboard Collaborate.
Center for Teaching and Learning - Phone/Online Office Hours with Julee Johns
- To make an appointment, send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (513) 569-1724 and leave a message.
Appointments with Julee can be scheduled:
- Monday, July 13, 4-6 p.m.
- Tuesday, July 14, noon-2 p.m.
- Wednesday, July 15, 4-6 p.m.
- Thursday, July 16, noon-2 p.m.
Dr. Jon McKamey, Office of Online Learning, is out of the office Monday and Tuesday but is monitoring email and the Teaching Online course.
- The Teaching Online for Cincinnati State course is ongoing and always accepting new enrollments. More information is on page 2 of the PDF weekly schedule.
Online office hours with Jon are available:
- Wednesday, July 15, 8-10 a.m.
- Thursday, July 16, 2-4 p.m.
- Friday, July 17, 10 a.m.-noon
Training facilitated by Paul D. DeNu, Office of Online Learning
- Monday, July 13, 2-3 p.m. - Blackboard Collaborate Support
- Tuesday, July 14, 10-10:30 a.m. - Screencast-O-Matic Screen Recorder and Video Editor
- Wednesday, July 15, 11 a.m.-noon - Blackboard Collaborate Support
- Thursday, July 16, 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. - Blackboard Collaborate Support
- Friday, July 17, 10:30-11:30 a.m. - Accessible Materials and Courses
A beautiful day in our neighborhood
Tony Waite captured a serene scene from Clifton Campus on Friday morning, July 10.
Gaze, breathe, and relax. Namaste.
(Photo provided by Tony Waite)
- Webinar offered on "Preparing Instructors for an Uncertain Fall"
- Virtual Commencement 2020 starts Aug. 9 at 3 p.m.
- Condolences to the family of Gary Boyle
- Fall students can purchase "CState Recommended" computers at College Bookstore
- CState partnership for Cybersecurity education is recognized
- President Posey will host virtual College Update on Aug. 7
- Online Learning workshops & support for faculty available Aug. 3-9
- Blackboard Collaborate will have outage on Aug. 6
- Webinar offers advice to new online instructors
- Students give positive feedback for "New Student Orientation" online
- - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- - College Update: What Will Fall 2020 Look Like?
- Sun. 8/9 - Commencement
- Mon. 8/10 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Tue. 8/11 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Tue. 8/11 - Provost's Academic Update
- Wed. 8/12 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Wed. 8/12 - Career Center webinar - "Moving Beyond Undecided"
- Thu. 8/13 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Thu. 8/13 - CCP Virtual Orientation