CState celebrates In-Demand Jobs Week starting May 5
Cincinnati State will join the celebration of Ohio In-Demand Jobs Week from May 4 to 8, 2020.
In-Demand Jobs Week is a statewide event that recognizes jobs, industries, and skills that are in-demand in Ohio.
Cincinnati State will host three 30-minute virtual sessions, each focused on specific in-demand jobs.
- Tuesday, May 5 - noon to 12:30 p.m. - Medical Assisting
- Tuesday, May 5 - 1 to 1:30 p.m. - Information Technology Careers
- Thursday, May 7 - noon to 12:30 p.m. - Engineering Technology Careers
Each session includes:
- Overview of the profession
- Why are these in-demand careers
- Cincinnati State programs that lead to these careers
- Typical duties in the career
- Why Cincinnati State is the best choice for gaining entry to these careers
To register for a virtual In-Demand Jobs session, visit: https://www.cincinnatistate.edu/indemandjobs.
Tech support for students includes hotspots as well as laptops
As of Apr. 30, nearly 100 CState students had picked up "loaner" laptop computers to use during the final days of Spring Semester and/or for Summer Semester.
The College also recently implemented an agreement with Verizon to obtain up to 200 Wi-Fi personal hotspots to be loaned to students, for their use at no cost.
- All of the 97 students who had picked up a laptop already were contacted last week with information about the availability of hotspots, and 8 students returned to pick up a hotspot device.
- Chief Information Officer Frankie Baker said about 30 students approved for a loaner laptop haven't yet picked up their computer. These students also were notified about availability of hotspots, and 8 asked to have a hotspot added to their loan.
- In addition, 25 students requested laptops who are not registered for Summer classes. Those students are being contacted by advisors, and when the student registers for Summer, they will be added to the group that is approved for loaner computers and hotspots.
Another message will be sent within the next two weeks to all students registered for Summer classes to remind them about the availability of laptops and hotspots.
Chief of Advancement Elliott Ruther said additional laptop computers are being purchased to add to the loaner supply, using a gift from Follett Bookstore to the Cincinnati State Foundation.
Support Group continues for dealing with COVID-19 stresses
The Cincinnati State Employee Assistance Program facilitated by Tri-Health is offering telephone support groups this week for those who wish to get some assistance dealing with experiences, concerns, worries, and struggles related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The stress and anxiety prompted by the pandemic can be difficult to manage, and can feel overwhelming, so it's OK if you feel like you need some help or support.
The support group is open to Cincinnati State employees and their spouse/partner, and you may call in anonymously for some or all of the hour-long session. If you wish, you can just listen in and not speak.
Sessions are available:
- Tuesday, May 5, noon to 1 p.m. - Call 513-878-1440, passcode 478063#
- Thursday, May 7, noon to 1 p.m. - Call 513-878-1440, passcode 478063#
The sessions are facilitated by Miriam Brod, LISW-S, TriHealth EAP Specialty Treatment Coordinator.
Wilmington College Cincinnati holds Virtual Info Sessions on May 7 & 20
Wilmington College Cincinnati is offering Virtual Information Sessions on May 7 and May 20 at 6 p.m.
All interested students are invited to join live Zoom sessions on these days to learn more about Wilmington's programs offered in Cincinnati.
The Wilmington College Cincinnati offices and classrooms are located at Cincinnati State.
To reserve a "virtual seat" at one of the sessions, visit https://wccincy.wufoo.com/forms/z1e0dws9195b4mt.
The halls are empty, but bright
The CState Facilities crew has the lights on and the floors polished, in anticipation of an eventual return from all-remote operations.
In the photo above, Facilities Maintenance Technician Andy Chapman is maneuvering the lift into place, so he can replace light bulbs in the Main Building on Clifton Campus.
We look forward to walking through these well-illuminated halls in the not-too-distant future.
(Photo provided by Tony Waite)
- "Apply4StudentRelief" web page is launched
- Spotlight on Service: Co-op student helps keep Rumpke running
- Support Group for parenting concerns offered to employees
- End-of-year purchasing deadlines announced
- Slides from May 26 BOT meeting are available
- Online Learning Support for faculty scheduled for May 27-29
- CState announces plans for Fall classes
- No-show rules clarified for remote classes
- Board of Trustees Meeting on May 26
- Spotlight on Service: Co-op student helped Gorman Farm before and during pandemic
- Mon. 6/1 - First day of Summer Semester (10-week classes)
- Mon. 6/1 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Mon. 6/1 - College Info Session
- Mon. 6/1 - College Info Session
- Mon. 6/1 - College Info Evening Session
- Tue. 6/2 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Tue. 6/2 - Virtual College Info Session
- Tue. 6/2 - College Info Session
- Wed. 6/3 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Thu. 6/4 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled