Oscar-nominated documentary has a CState connection
Melissa Godoy, a Cincinnati State adjunct instructor in the Audio/Video Production program, will be watching the Academy Awards on Sunday, Feb. 9, with greater-than-average interest.
Melissa was the Line Producer and an additional camera operator for one of the five films nominated for the Best Documentary award: "American Factory."
Melissa, who has been teaching Cincinnati State courses in scriptwriting and other elements of filmmaking since 2008, is an award-winning independent filmmaker, with numerous credits as a producer, director, cinematographer, and writer.
Melissa also has teamed several times with the producers/directors of "American Factory," filmmakers Julia Reichert and Steven Bognar, who live in Yellow Springs, near Dayton, Ohio.
The 2020 Oscar nomination is Reichert's fourth nomination in the Best Documentary category.
"American Factory" tells the story of what happened when Fuyao, a Chinese company specializing in manufacturing glass for automobiles, took over a closed General Motors plant near Dayton in 2016.
The documentary examines the lives of American and Chinese workers as they struggle to merge cultures and sort out expectations about work and workers.
Godoy explained, "This film started like many of the team's productions-- low key, no budget-- just observing, capturing, and investigating to see if there was a story.“
“And indeed, there was a colorful tale set inside an Ohio factory," she continued. "The film articulates a raging debate going on today about the nature of work."
"A rough edit of early scenes and a chance to share at an independent film forum led to support from the film company Participant Media," Melissa said.
"American Factory" has received numerous awards already
In January 2020, "American Factory" earned the prestigious Directors Guild of America (DGA) award for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Documentaries.
The film also has received Best Documentary accolades from the Los Angeles Film Critics Association, the International Documentary Association, the Gotham Independent Film Award, the Critics Choice Award, along with numerous other awards and nominations.
“One of the keys to the film’s success was total access to the factory and its people,” Godoy said. "The opportunity to intimately witness scenes of American factory workers, Chinese workers separated from their families, management unsuccessfully trying to make a profit in this new world, and the reflective billionaire owner, all makes for a rich experience."
"American Factory" is currently airing on Netflix, where it was the first film acquisition by Higher Ground Productions, a media company founded by Barack and Michelle Obama.
“It upped my game and skill level to work with Participant Media and Netflix, in addition to our scrappy creative team led by Bognar and Reichert, who are always pushing the boundaries,” said Godoy.
“I'm grateful for every chance to learn, and I try to take new lessons to my classroom."
She added, "I'm hoping for the best at the Oscars! It takes a lot of energy to compete at this level from the Midwest, and Julia especially has been up to bat many times."
Documentary class planned for CState in Fall
Melissa may be adding a new component to preparing future filmmakers for success, by leading a special topics course in Documentary Production, currently being planned for Fall Semester 2020.
“I look forward to teaching a documentary production course this Fall," Melissa said. "One of my greatest joys, truly, is working with students. I enjoy their ideas, creativity, energy, team spirit, and I enjoy watching them grow."
"Cincinnati State is full of people with stories to tell. It’s meaningful to see them learn how to do that through the Audio/Video Production program."
Transfer Center shares February calendar
The Cincinnati State Transfer Center has released the February calendar of visits from representatives of four-year colleges and universities,
No appointment is needed to meet with a transfer representative-- just go to the Transfer Center in ATLC Room 221 on Clifton Campus, near Bakery Hill.
Students considering transfer to a bachelor's degree program after CState graduation are encouraged to meet with advisors from visiting schools to learn more about opportunities and requirements.
The Transfer Center is open (on days the College is open):
- Monday through Thursday - 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Friday - 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Only Wilmington College transfer advisors are available on Fridays
- Download the calendar below for schedules of visits from other college and university representatives
To view the Transfer Center visitor schedule for February, click the link below.
Farmer's Market for students on Feb. 6
The first Farmer's Market of Spring Semester is Thursday, Feb. 6, from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. --or until all food is gone-- in The Spot (ATLC 1st floor near the Bookstore) on Clifton Campus.
Free fresh fruits and vegetables (like the apples seen above, distributed at a Fall Farmer's Market) will be available to currently-registered Cincinnati State students with a Surge Card ID.
Bags for transporting food are provided.
The Farmer's Market is part of a partnership between Cincinnati State's Surge Cupboard Food Pantry and the Freestore Foodbank, which delivers the fresh food each month at no cost to the College.
College 50th anniversary events continue in 2020
For all of you who plan your calendar far in advance, and for others who aren't planners but still want to know what's happening, here's a list of upcoming 2020 events associated with the continuing celebration of the College's 50th Anniversary year:
- Sunday, April 26, 2020 - 1 Night, 12 Kitchens – Clifton Campus
- Sunday, May 3, 2020 - Cincinnati State Commencement – Cintas Center
- Friday & Saturday, May 15 & 16, 2020 - Cincinnati State 50th Anniversary Alumni Weekend – Clifton Campus
- Thursday, June 18, 2020 - Cincinnati State Middletown Scholarship Recognition & Appreciation Event – Middletown Campus
- Monday, September 21, 2020 - Cincinnati State Honors Scholarship Golf Classic – Western Hills Country Club
- October 10, 2020 (tentative) - Cincinnati State 50th Anniversary Gala – Location to be announced
I-75 & I-74 Construction Update (Feb. 5-6)
The Ohio Department of Transportation has scheduled overnight projects near the Clifton Campus related to major reconstruction of I-75 & I-74.
Wednesday, Feb. 5:
- Single-lane closure on I-74 West from I-75 North to Colerain Avenue from 8 p.m. until 6 a.m. Thursday.
- Short-term full closures on I-74 and I-75 within the construction zone from midnight until 4 a.m.
(updated) Thursday, Feb. 6:
- Close the ramp from I-75 South to Hopple Street and the ramp from Hopple Street to I-75 South from 10 p.m. until 5 a.m. Friday.
Arrow boards and/or signs will alert motorists of the work zone and restrictions. All work is contingent upon the weather.
To help ensure the safety of the construction workers as well as the traveling public, motorists should remain alert, reduce their speed, and watch for stopped traffic while passing through the work zone. Remember, move over or slow down.
For ongoing traffic, construction, and and weather-related information, please check www.OHGO.com.
- CState Graphic Design student wins Gold ADDY in national competition
- Students have until Aug. 31 to request Pass/Fail grading for courses with Incompletes
- College closed July 3 to celebrate Independence Day
- Condolences to the family of Ray DiPilla
- "Provost's Update" offered on June 30
- CState offers in-person student services starting today; employees have increased access to Clifton Campus
- Leadership Awards presented to 30 students for 2020 achievements
- Online Learning Support for faculty scheduled for June 29-July 2
- Check for Air Quality Alerts this week
- Plan for Fall courses is 65% remote offerings, but many technical courses include in-person elements
- - College Closed - Independence Day
- Mon. 7/6 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Tue. 7/7 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Tue. 7/7 - Provost's Academic Update
- Wed. 7/8 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Wed. 7/8 - Coffee with the Coordinators: The Power of Networking
- Thu. 7/9 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Fri. 7/10 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Mon. 7/13 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Mon. 7/13 - Job Hunting Workshop