Open House for TRiO Student Success Services on Apr. 25
All members of the College community are invited to an Open House hosted by Cincinnati State’s TRiO Student Support Services, on Wednesday, Apr. 25, in Main 131B (Clifton Campus).
During the Open House, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., you can tour the service center and learn more about services provided to students.
Light refreshments will be available and all visitors will be entered into a drawing for gift cards.
The TRiO Student Support Services (SSS) program is funded by the U.S. Department of Education. Nationally, TRiO SSS is celebrating its 50th anniversary. The program has been offered at Cincinnati State for 19 years.
TRiO Student Support Services are designed to help students graduate and then transfer to a 4-year institution. Services offered include:
- Proactive retention services for Cincinnati State students who are first-generation college students, low income, and/or disabled.
- Tutoring and academic coaching to promote success completing coursework.
- Assistance navigating college processes such as financial aid and registration.
Dedicated staff members work with students to help them achieve their goals.
Gretchen Cook, Assistant Director for Student Support Services, said, “Students are more successful when they receive the appropriate amount of support at the right time.”
Board of Trustees Meeting on Apr. 24
The Cincinnati State Board of Trustees will meet in regular session on Tuesday, Apr. 24, starting at 3:45 p.m. in the Conference Center (Clifton Campus).
The Board meeting is open to the public. The agenda is as follows:
- Call to Order
- Sunshine Law Compliance Announcement
- Roll Call
- Approval of the Proceedings of the Regular Meeting of Mar. 27, 2018
- Consideration of Items for Possible Addition to Agenda
- Recognition for Outstanding Accomplishments
- Consent Agenda for Recurring Items
- Personnel Report
- Facilities Report
- Environmental and Public Safety Department–Monthly Incident Reports
- Financial Report
- Contract Approval Policy Adoption
- Board of Trustees Bylaw Adoption
- Contract Approval - Fosdick & Hilmer
- BOT Resolution authorizing Grant Proposal to State for Airport
- Student Activities Report
- Faculty Senate Report
- President’s Report
- Chairperson’s Report and Trustee Association Report
- Old Business
- New Business
The next Board of Trustees meeting is scheduled for Thursday, May 10, 2018, at 8 a.m. The location will be announced. The purpose of this meeting is an update and discussion of the College's Capital Plan projects,
Common Time today has Academic Update and Program Chair Workshop
Common Time today, Apr. 23, offers two concurrent opportunities for learning:
- an update on College Academic Initiatives by Provost Robbin Hoopes (in Conference Center Room 344)
- a workshop on the Annual Program Self-Study process (in Conference Center Room 342)
Both sessions take place from 3 to 4:30 p.m. and both are open to all College employees.
Provost Hoopes' Academic Update will cover topics including:
- progress of Cincinnati State bachelor's degree proposals
- next steps in the College's HLC (Higher Learning Commission) accreditation processes
- academic assessment initiatives
The Academic Update also will be available via live streaming video at https://cincinnatistate.adobeconnect.com/common_time_2017-2018.
The Program Self-Study Workshop is intended for Program Chairs and other faculty members who are responsible for completing the Annual Program Self-Study documentation required for all of the College's associate degree programs.
Workshop leaders Dr. Janelle McCord and Dr. Tom Burns will focus on how to write Program Learning Outcomes and how to develop Direct Assessments for these outcomes.
Faculty members attending the workshop should bring a copy of at least one Learning Outcome for your program, and a Direct Assessment (if you have developed one). However, previously-written materials are not required.
Today’s Common Time is the final one for Spring Semester.
- If you missed some of this year’s presentations, they are available on the College Intranet, in the section How the College Works > Academics > Common Time Recordings
- When it's ready, next Fall’s Common Time schedule will be posted on the Intranet in the section How the College Works > Academics > Common Time Schedule
Honors Program graduation ceremony on Apr. 25
All members of the College community are invited to celebrate student achievements at the Honors Program Scholarship and Graduation Ceremony on Wednesday, Apr. 25.
The ceremony takes place beginning at 4 p.m. in the ATLC Auditorium. Afterwards, there's a reception in the Bakery Hill area on the ATLC 2nd floor.
If you have questions, contract Honors Program Director Andrea Trapp (firstname.lastname@example.org.
Budget Advisory Team seeks your ideas for FY19 budget
The Budget Advisory Team is seeking ideas, comments and recommendations from the College community to be considered during the development of the College Budget for Fiscal Year 2019 (July 1, 2018 to June 30, 2019).
A survey was sent to employees' College email on Friday, Apr. 20, around 4 p.m. If you're looking for the message in your Outlook mailbox, the sender is email@example.com.
Survey replies should be submitted by May 6.
Budget Advisory Team co-chair Stani Kantcheva said, "We value the feedback College employees can provide based on your experience and knowledge, and we encourage all employees to complete the survey."
Weight Watchers at Work wants to help you change your lifestyle
The Cincinnati State Weight Watchers at Work (WW at Work) program is in its sixth continuous year of activity at the College.
The group members are eager to help other College employees by providing support and encouragement for healthy lifestyle changes.
- The WW at Work group meets on Clifton Campus every Tuesday from 1 to 2 p.m. Meetings are open to all employees.
- The meeting on Tuesday, Apr. 24, will be held in the Main Building Conference Center, Room 342. Those seeking more information are encouraged to attend this meeting!
- Starting May 1, weekly meetings move to Main 358.
If you join the Weight Watchers group by this Friday, Apr. 27, you'll receive a free starter kit that includes a steamer, an omelet maker/egg poacher, a cutting board and chopper, and a Zero Smart Points Cookbook.
Members also get access to online tracking tools, recipes, workout videos, online coaches, and other resources that address the mental and behavioral aspects of changing your lifestyle.
Jackie Norton (Marketing Dept) said, "You can't beat the convenience of Weight Watchers at Work-- there's no need to worry about finding someone to watch the kids, or trying to squeeze in something else on a Saturday. It’s already here, where you are!"
Jackie said Weight Watchers refreshes their program regularly with the latest nutrition information, such as introducing the "Freestyle" program this year that allows most fruits and vegetables as "zero points" foods, along with several new "zero points" proteins.
Christine Barrow (Facilities Dept), who has lost more than 100 lbs., said, "Through WW at Work and the 'beyond the scale' approach, I have learned how to manage stress and other emotions without turning to food. I have created healthy habits, not food restrictions."
"Also, I didn't have to give up my favorite foods-- now I'm making more empowered choices about which foods I want to eat. I look forward to our meetings to get encouragement and motivation each week."
If you can't attend the Apr. 24 meeting but have questions or would like additional information about WW at Work, contact Jackie (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Reminder: Surge Purge clean up days begin July 22
- July 19 is Fitness Friday
- Faculty: Look for Starfish Progress Surveys
- Students: Aviation Job Fair on July 17
- I-75 & I-74 Construction Update (July 15-19)
- Prepare for Surge Purge Days on July 22-26
- CS faculty member has art show at Welcome Project Cincinnati
- Happy Hour FUN-draiser for Surge Cupboard on July 10
- CState hosted Upward Bound Leadership Summit
- Join the July Fitness Friday walk on 7/19
- Fri. 7/19 - Free Coffee Friday with Cindy Sefton
- Fri. 7/19 - Fitness Friday Walk
- Mon. 7/22 - Surge Purge Day: E-waste, Metal & Chemical Waste
- Mon. 7/22 - Admit Me Day
- Tue. 7/23 - Surge Purge Day: E-waste, Metal & Chemical Waste
- Tue. 7/23 - College Info Session
- Tue. 7/23 - Surge Purge Day: Paper Shredding
- Tue. 7/23 - College Info Evening Session
- Wed. 7/24 - Surge Purge Day: E-waste, Metal & Chemical Waste
- Thu. 7/25 - Surge Purge Day: E-waste, Metal & Chemical Waste