CState faculty members are National AAUP leaders
At the Annual Conference of the American Association of University Professors (AAUP) held June 14-18 in Washington, DC, Paul Davis (above, right) was elected as Chair of the National AAUP-CBC, and Julie McLaughlin (above, left) became a member of the National AAUP Council.
The national AAUP Council and its Executive Committee are AAUP members who are elected to govern the national organization. Council members are elected from 10 geographic Districts. Julie is one of two representatives for District VI, the state of Ohio.
Members from several Ohio AAUP chapters were recommended to replace a Council member who was unable to complete the District VI term that runs until 2020. Julie was elected by the other Council members to fill the unexpired term.
Julie is the first CState AAUP member to serve on the national AAUP Council.
At Cincinnati State, Julie has served as an AAUP officer, bargaining team member, and committee leader.
Julie said, "I learned a lot during my first Council meetings, which lasted four and a half hours on Friday, and another four and a half hours on Sunday."
"I'm looking forward to bringing the voices of community college faculty into Council discussions and decisions," Julie added.
In addition to meetings at the Annual Conference, the AAUP Council meets two other times each year to carry out Association business.
The AAUP-CBC (Collective Bargaining Congress) is the umbrella organization for unionized AAUP chapters. Paul was elected to a two-year term as Chair after serving previously as Vice-Chair of AAUP-CBC.
Paul is the first faculty member from a community college to serve as Chair of AAUP-CBC.
Paul was one of the leaders of Cincinnati State AAUP's successful union organizing campaign in 1989-90, and he has served as chapter President, Grievance Officer, Bargaining Council Chair, Bargaining Team member, and in other chapter leadership roles.
As AAUP-CBC Chair, Paul will preside over business meetings held four times a year, and will be involved in numerous national AAUP-CBC activities that support members who are forming and maintaining faculty unions, negotiating contracts, and dealing with political challenges to academic collective bargaining.
Paul said, "The current national climate for faculty unions isn't the best, but when faculty work together, we can accomplish great things."
Paul added, "I'm looking forward to this challenging role, and I hope my service as CBC Chair will make my Cincinnati State colleagues proud."
CState AAUP Chapter President Pam Ecker said, "Cincinnati State AAUP members have contributed to national AAUP in many ways over the years, but we've never before had two of our chapter members serving in national AAUP's most important leadership groups."
"Seeing Paul and Julie elected to these national AAUP roles is a great endorsement of our chapter's achievements and shows the respect others in AAUP have for our work," Pam said.
Surge Cupboard's first Farmer's Market gives free produce to 65 students
- Reminder: No in-person transactions at the Cashier's Office this semester
- College-wide committee members for 2020-21 announced
- Theresa Johnson Retirement Celebration moved to Nov. 19
- Writing Center expands remote tutoring on weekends
- Online Learning Support for Oct. 19-23
- Main Building Recovery Project - Progress Report for Oct. 19
- Chef Yek will lead "cook-along" event for Cincy Museum Center on Oct. 23
- College Catalog for 2020-21 is available as printable PDF
- Webinar on Oct. 20 offers advice on leading online discussions
- Faculty Forum on Oct. 19 promotes connections and shared learning
- Thu. 10/22 - Virtual College Info Session
- Fri. 10/23 - Virtual College Info Session
- Mon. 10/26 - Virtual College Info Session
- Tue. 10/27 - Provost's Academic Update
- Tue. 10/27 - Board of Trustees Meeting
- Tue. 10/27 - Virtual College Info Session
- Wed. 10/28 - Virtual College Info Session
- Thu. 10/29 - Virtual College Info Session
- Fri. 10/30 - Virtual College Info Session
- Mon. 11/2 - Virtual College Info Session - Culinary & Food Science Bachelor's Degree