Duke Energy Foundation gift supports new lab equipment
(Left to Right) Gary Cates, Senior Vice Chancellor, Ohio Department of Higher Education; Mike Haunert, President, Cincinnati State Foundation Board of Directors & President, Sysco Cincinnati; Mark Walton, Board of Trustees Chair; President Monica Posey; Tim Abbott, Director of Government and Community Relations, Duke Energy; Doug Bowling, Dean of Center for Innovative Technologies; Elliott Ruther, Chief of Development; Robert Ringel, Board of Trustees Member and Duke Energy Vice President, Legal.
At the May 23 Board of Trustees meeting, Tim Abbott, Director of Government and Community Relations at Duke Energy, presented to Cincinnati State a $40,000 gift from the Duke Energy Foundation.
The funds are being used to purchase a new High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) machine that will support Cincinnati State courses related to additive manufacturing and materials testing.
The new equipment will be installed in Room 248 Main (Clifton Campus), the current Chemical Instrumentation Lab, and will replace lab equipment that is nearly 20 years old.
According to Lab Technician Gail Quinlan, the HPLC machine will be used to analyze the components of materials, such as checking plastics for additives like the chemical BPA.
Gail said faculty and students in Mechanical Engineering Technology - Manufacturing and other programs should be able to start using the new HPLC machine in their Fall semester classes.
Helpers needed for Summer Fast Track sessions
Faculty and staff volunteers are needed to assist new students at Fast Track enrollment sessions this summer on the Clifton Campus.
- During Fast Track events, new students can complete several steps of the enrollment process, including taking the Accuplacer placement assessment, and preparing to register for Fall Semester classes.
- A new feature of Fast Track events this summer is a Career Coach Workshop. Students who are unsure about a program or major can attend this one-hour session to get help clarifying their career and educational choices.
Five Fast Track sessions are scheduled:
- Monday, June 26 - 2:00 – 5:30 p.m.
- Saturday, July 15 - 9:00 a.m. – noon
- Thursday, July 27 - 2:00 – 5:30 p.m.
- Saturday, August 12 - 9:00 a.m. – noon
- Tuesday, August 22 - 2:00 – 5:30 p.m.
The end time listed is the latest that attending students can begin taking the Accuplacer assessment.
To volunteer, use this link: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090849aaab23a7fd0-summer. (Please note that you may be asked to help with a different task, depending on event needs.)
If you have questions about volunteering, please contact Sarah Leggesse at firstname.lastname@example.org or 569-1491.
(Links for students who want to sign up for a Fast Track session on the Clifton or Middletown campus are available on the CState website: https://cincinnatistate.edu/fasttrack)
Thanks for helping new students join us at Cincinnati State!
Change how you deal with change at June 13 workshop
On Tuesday, June 13, Cincinnati State counselors John Wagner and Neisha Wiley will lead a workshop on Using the Power of Choice to Deal with Change.
According to John and Neisha, "We can’t always manage change, but we can always choose our personal behaviors and attitudes as we face change."
At the workshop, participants will learn to lighten up, focus on what you can control (yourself), and then engage and serve others in a way that lets everyone experience the fun and joy of winning.
The workshop is open to all College employees. Two sessions will be offered: 10 to 11 a.m. and 2 to 3 p.m.
You can sign up to attend at your preferred time using this link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfpgZUzAoDX8v7NxN8yuxiNzpQAP-csEEOFNOVRaFYaMcSsHg/viewform?usp=sf_link
- Reminder: No in-person transactions at the Cashier's Office this semester
- College-wide committee members for 2020-21 announced
- Theresa Johnson Retirement Celebration moved to Nov. 19
- Writing Center expands remote tutoring on weekends
- Online Learning Support for Oct. 19-23
- Main Building Recovery Project - Progress Report for Oct. 19
- Chef Yek will lead "cook-along" event for Cincy Museum Center on Oct. 23
- College Catalog for 2020-21 is available as printable PDF
- Webinar on Oct. 20 offers advice on leading online discussions
- Faculty Forum on Oct. 19 promotes connections and shared learning
- Thu. 10/22 - Virtual College Info Session
- Fri. 10/23 - Virtual College Info Session
- Mon. 10/26 - Virtual College Info Session
- Tue. 10/27 - Provost's Academic Update
- Tue. 10/27 - Board of Trustees Meeting
- Tue. 10/27 - Virtual College Info Session
- Wed. 10/28 - Virtual College Info Session
- Thu. 10/29 - Virtual College Info Session
- Fri. 10/30 - Virtual College Info Session
- Mon. 11/2 - Virtual College Info Session - Culinary & Food Science Bachelor's Degree