College, Art Central Foundation will dedicate Middletown mural Saturday
Cincinnati State and Middletown’s Art Central Foundation will host a dedication ceremony at 10 a.m. Saturday (Oct. 18) to mark the completion of a fish-themed mural on the side of the latest building on the college’s campus in downtown Middletown.
The mural was designed by Osmany Piedra Cuza, a visiting artist from Baracoa, Cuba. He executed the painting with help from students at Cincinnati State and the Art Central Foundation.
The mural, titled “Trans-formative Union,” is on the wall of a building at 1021 Central Avenue that was recently acquired by Cincinnati State. It is visible from the walkway between that building and the one at 1025 Central Avenue.
Following the ceremony – which will feature Osmany and President Owens painting the mural’s final iconic fish – a reception will be held in the second floor gallery of the nearby Pendleton Art Gallery. A number of Osmany’s paintings will be on exhibit.
The Art Central Foundation was founded nine years ago as part of an effort to establish downtown Middletown as an arts and entertainment venue. Its activities include working with students in grades 3 – 12 who are nominated by their art teachers. There is no cost to the children for participation.
Over the past year the Art Central Foundation has been hosting a succession of Cuban artists on visits to Middletown.Osmany graduated from art school in Santiago de Cuba and from the Institute of Design in Havana.
Get ready for the Sweetest Day of all, which is (always) today
Members of the Horticulture Club spent a good part of the day Thursday creating floral arrangements for the Sweetest Day sale that begins at 11 a.m. today in the ATLC Student Lounge and runs 1 p.m. Students pictured above include, right to left, Emily Marshall, Jules Lucas, Maggie Adams and Julie Flickner. Pictured below is Adrien Only.
Introducing 6th graders to college
More than 100 sixth grade students from Finneytown paid a visit to Cincinnati State Thursday, for a taste of what college is all about – and a discussion of what it takes to succeed. They were welcomed by members of Cincinnati State’s College Access team, including Mary Horan, shown above on the stage in the ATLC Auditorium.
Waiting for the test
If they were nervous, these students from the EMT Paramedic program who were waiting to engage in their practical skills testing Thursday sure didn’t show it. Successful completion of the test is a prerequisite for participation in clinicals.
Cincinnati State, partners offer free college and career readiness classes
Cincinnati State, in partnership with CityLink, Education Matters (formerly Lower Price Hill Community School), Queen City Vocational Center and Great Oaks campuses are offering free College and Career Readiness classes. The collaboration is designed to assist students who are in need of academic and career readiness assistance.
For more information please contact Katrina Rugless at 1825.
College is now a “Gold-Level” Bike Friendly Destination
Thanks to the efforts of the Surge Green Committee, Cincinnati State has been recognized as a “Bike Friendly Destination at the GOLD level” by Queen City Bikes. This designation has been awarded to the college “for your efforts on changing the transportation culture of Greater Cincinnati to be inclusive, respectful, and supportive of bicycle transportation.”
- Get ready for the Sweetest Day of all, which is (always) today
- Introducing 6th graders to college
- Cincinnati State, partners offer free college and career readiness classes
- College is now a “Gold-Level” Bike Friendly Destination
- College, Art Central Foundation will dedicate Middletown mural Saturday
- Ranked Teams Coming to Pink Out Classic
- Sweetest Day Sale is Friday
- Women’s Soccer Wins on Galbraith’s Hat Trick
- C-State Volleyball defeats Edison
- BTD to host Small Business seminar for students
- Mon. 10/20 - Open Enrollment Benefits Information Sessions
- Mon. 10/20 - Faculty Forum
- Tue. 10/21 - College Information Sessions
- Tue. 10/21 - French conversation hour
- Tue. 10/21 - Lunch & Learn "Carefrontations"
- Tue. 10/21 - Volleyball v. UC Clermont
- Wed. 10/22 - Open Enrollment Benefits Information Sessions
- Wed. 10/22 - ESL conversation hour
- Wed. 10/22 - BTD Adjunct Orientation
- Wed. 10/22 - Volleyball v. Columbus State