Reading is FUNdamental, emphasis on fun!
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more you learn, the more places you’ll go.”
– Dr. Seuss, “I Can Read with My Eyes Shut!”
Reading is the window into the world and far beyond; Provost Hoopes opened that window for our youngest scholars of the Mallory Learning Center.
Each week, these young achievers participate in the Reading is Great at Cincinnati State activity, and the story that Provost Hoopes shared with the group was, “I Want My Hat Back” by children’s book author, Jon Klassen.
It’s a story about a bear who loses his hat, and ends up finding it on his friend, the rabbit’s head. The book is filled with visual humor and a mischievous plot twist. Provost Hoopes donned his own “hat” for the occasion too.
From the looks of these images, the great big group bear hug Provost received at the end, could have very well been the highlight of his week!
Recent graduate accepts permanent position
Kathleen Ray a 2016 Cincinnati State honors graduate was recently hired to execute duties in the Accounting/Finance Office full-time.
Kathleen majored in Accounting and graduated with a 3.75 gpa. In her senior year, a co-op experience had not been completed, so to answer the call, Co-Op Coordinator Maya Franklin, Office of Disability Services Manager Pamela Goines, and Finance Director, Bill Quattrone diligently worked together to create an on-campus co-op opportunity for her.
Kathleen did exemplary work during her co-op experience, as was evidenced every time Bill Quattrone mentioned her in a conversation. He remarked about her excellent work and that he hoped to get the opportunity to hire her as a permanent employee. When a position became available she was immediately hired to work for Virginia Klein in Accounts Payable.
“This is what Cincinnati State does well,” says Pamela Goins, “train, develop, and work diligently to place all students in a co-op opportunity with the intent that permanent employment is the end result.”
Career Closet gets a few enhancements from the Cincinnati State AAUP
Meet Gil & Bunny, the Career Closet’s new stationary super models. These forms and the cool new rug, are courtesy of the Cincinnati State American Association of University Professors (AAUP), and truly help to give the Career Closet a more boutique-like feel.
Additional thanks are in order for October’s volunteers: Sandy Buschman, Sandra Dees, Andi Feld, Maya Franklin, Noelle Grome, Scott Holubetz, Brian Hooten, Stani Kantcheva, Kathleen Pickens and Jeff Vetter.
If any faculty or staff are interested in lending a helping hand for November ensuring that there's assistance for students, please register by clicking the sign-up button.
Clothing donations are always appreciated, but at the moment, the maximum limit has been reached! Intake is on a temporary pause. Continue to encourage the student community to visit the closet for free interview and workplace dress wear.
The Career Closet is located in Room 1, Main Building, near the Fitness Center. Students who want to “shop” at the Career Closet should obtain a referral from their Co-op Coordinator, Academic Advisor or PTEC Advisor. Just ask them to check the referral box in Career Link. Faculty volunteers will be ready to assist students with the perfect look for a co-op or job interview!
Hours of Operation Fall 2016
Tuesdays: 11-noon & 4-5
- A new home for Cincinnati State’s Transfer Center
- Free Coffee Friday October 28
- The Mallory Learning Center Fall Festival is Monday, October 31
- SURGE Basketball uses Home Opener to show support of Domestic Violence Survivors and to Spread Awareness
- NSO celebrates breast cancer survivor-ship in recent walk
- TRiO Student Support Services is accepting new participants
- Save the Date: 3 Secrets to Making Your Dreams Come True
- Horticulture Club’s Fall Fundraiser is Underway
- Save the Date: The SCCDC is hosting a Career Fair
- October Persistence & Retention Communication Collaborative Efforts
- Sat. 10/29 - GCAL Academic League Tourney
- Sat. 10/29 - SURGE Volleyball vs UC Clermont
- Mon. 10/31 - Mallory Center Fall Festival
- Tue. 11/1 - College Info Session
- Tue. 11/1 - Lady SURGE Basketball Home Opener
- Tue. 11/1 - College Info Evening Session
- Tue. 11/1 - SURGE Men's Basketball Home Opener
- Wed. 11/2 - Just Do It! 3 Secrets to Making Your Dreams Come True
- Mon. 11/7 - Fast Track
- Tue. 11/8 - College Info Session